Toenail fungus does look very ugly and that itchiness caused by it is unbearable. Those who are suffering from it can tell how it feels to have them and the urge they have to kill them can be depicted from their everyday tantrums.
This Post Contains
Now the question arises,
How Did You Get Toenail Fungus? The Real Reasons
Fungus thrives in warm, moist environments in which they overpopulate, spreading infection. You would be surprised to know that the same fungi that cause ringworms, jock itch, and athlete’s foot also can be the reason for nail fungus. Fungal infections in the nails are typically caused by a group of fungi called dermatophytes.
Toenail infections can also spread if tools are not sanitized properly used for manicure or pedicure at a nail salon. Emery boards, nail clippers can also spread fungal infections from person-to-person if not properly disinfected.
Mostly men are more prone to this disease because of their living conditions. It is also one of the common diseases that older people are affected by.
A Common List That Promotes Toenail Fungus
• Minor skin or nail injury promotes thriving of causing fungi
• Feet cannot breathe because of wearing shoes and socks
• Skin conditions or Psoriasis
• People who more sweat promotes toenail fungus
• Humid environments more or less promote growth of fungi.
• Weak immune system, Diabetic
• Repetitive microtrauma due to Biomechanical problems
• An important factor – Age
Symptoms That Shouldn’t Be Discarded
Here, you can look at the below signs and symptoms of toenail fungus. If you have any of these signs and symptoms then it is possible that you have toenail fungus infection.
• Foul Odour from Toenails
• Pit Mark in the Toenails
• Splitting of toenails
• Followed by crumbling
• Yellowish colour of toenails
• Pain ranging from mild to severe
• Appearance of debris build-up under the infected nail
The infected toenail can appear white instead of green or yellow, and the surface tend to soften, dry, and turns powdery because of the nature of fungi.
Some Facts About Toenail Fungus You Might Not Know
- It accounts for 30% of all skin infections
- Affects 5%[general population], 20%[people over 60], and 50%[people over 70]
- 40 million Americans who live with toenail fungus
- Some can be cured within day while some may take months or more
- Men are more likely to get it than women
- After age 40, it become more prominent
- One -third of diabetics have this
- The risk increases while prolonged working in damped regions
- People with psoriasis have a 56% higher risk for nail infection
- People who have weak immune system, or who smoke are much more prone to this
You have been struggling with this for quite some time and still seeking some help that might get you rid of this. Let me tell you it doesn’t goes off with just snap of fingers, it will take time few weeks, days or months, provided you take proper care.
Over The Counter Treatment For Fungal Nail Infection
With the availability of so many products around you, it is quite natural that you end up choosing a product that has no relevance to your problems. Most of us don’t take the extra plunge while opting for a treatment for toenail fungus and eventually the solution does not give satisfying results.
You may have been to different drugstores, sometimes travelled too far to purchase a prescribed medicine. I am not saying that was worthless but if you had searched for common products that are easily available and effective, then it would have been a better option. Mentioned below are some over the counter products that are easily available at drugstores nearby.
#1: Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree oil, an Australian plant, is very much popular for skin conditions treatment, including foot fungal infections. In order to get effective results, tea tree oil should be applied properly.
How To Use
You can try these below steps and know how to apply tea tree oil to your affected toenails. These steps are very easy to apply and you can easily get rid of this issue forever.
Step 1: First remove any dead nail using a nail clipper, properly remove as much dead nail can be removed. Take care to avoid cutting your skin.
Step 2: Using nail file, file down the infected nail. File with medium-grade and fine grade afterwards.
Step 3: Remove nail dust. Clean your toenails with soap and water.
Step 4: Open tea tree oil and apply a moderate amount to a cotton swab
Step 5: Using a cotton swab, apply to each toenail. Let your nails dry.
Step 6: Repeat twice per day. Repeat filing procedure, 2-3 times a week.
It will take time, not give results immediately, but you can notice changes using it once or twice. If still doesn’t work then try some other method.
#2: Undecylenic Acid
Undecylenic acid contains fatty acid which limits the growth of fungus. This is also used to cure ringworm, jock itch. This acid is mostly found in OTC products and can be found in the local drugstore as a liquid polish. It eases the raw, irritated skin that comes with fungus and cures very easily.
How To Use Undecylenic Acid
You can try undecylenic acid with the help of below steps. All these steps are very easy to apply and you can easily try these steps at home without any need of professionals.
Cut off long infected nails. File your nails top to remove fungus, living under the nail bed. Make sure the tools that are being been cleaned properly before and after use.
Soak in the infected toes in warm water every morning and evening. Doing this, the warm water will loosen the skin around the nails, allowing the treatment to penetrate the fungus more easily. Keep the fingers in water for 1-2 minutes, softening them.
Clean fingers using a towel or blow dryer. Using applicator brush, distribute the solution on nail tops and sides. Allow drying as prescribed in the product. Sometime symptoms will disappear soon but continue using until directed. Consult a doctor if conditions persist for more than a month after medication.
Tolnaftate comes in a cream, powder, spray or liquid. It prohibits the growth of fungus, thereby blocking additional growth and eventually healing the infected underlying skin. Typically, you don’t need a prescription to use this cream. However, you should always consult your doctor to get more insights on how to use the cream effectively.
Using this over the counter toenail fungus cream is a simple step-by-step process.
• Wash the affected area
• Pat it to make it dry completely
• Shake the cream before applying
• Take required amount and apply on infected area
• Rub the cream properly to cover the fungal infection.
• Unless directed by a doctor, don’t bandage
• Give some time to dry. Remember to wash your hands.
• Try this for few week to completely eliminate toenail fungus.
Clotrimazole is one of the most prescribed medicines but you may also buy it without prescription at your local pharmacy and other retail outlets. It is available as a cream, spray, liquid applied to the skin directly or onto the infected area. Sometimes clotrimazole is combined with hydrocortisone, a mild corticosteroid, which helps in reducing fungal growth.
How to Use Clotrimazole For Toenail Fungus
Before actually using, read once the information printed on inside leaflet. It will give more information about clotrimazole. Wash and dry the infected area before applying clotrimazole.
• If you are using cream, apply a thin layer and then rub it in gently. Use the cream two or three times a day.
• If you are using spray, use it two or three times a day and be careful to make sure that all of the infected area has been covered by the spray.
• If you are using solution, apply it two or three times a day and gently rub it in. A few drops will treat an area about the size of a hand.
Use it regularly for a few weeks. Continue using it even after the sign of infection have gone. This will help in treating the fungus in a more better way.
Terbinafine can be purchased over the counter as a cream, gel, spray, or powder. Mostly it is prescribed tablets. Take one tablet each day for 12 weeks. It’ll kill toenail fungus, but it may take a few months to see full results.
Remember while taking Terbinafine
• You shouldn’t mix them with applesauce, fruit juice, or other acidic foods.
• Try to avoid consuming coffee, cola, tea, or other drinks that contain caffeine.
• The drug can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight.
• Avoid excessive sun exposure and tanning beds, and wear protective clothing and use sunscreen while outdoors.
#6: Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is a very potent essential oil. It is advised to add one or two drops of olive oil to it to make it more effective in a cure for toenail fungus. It kills the fungus from inside the nail bed and soaks into the render the fungus harmless.
Must follow tips before using Eucalyptus Oil
• Keep your nail, clipped as low as possible. Soak your foot or apply the oil directly. This will help to kill the fungus faster.
• If your nails have gotten thicker then file them to increase the effectiveness of the oil. To make it easier do it after a bath, when the nail is the softest.
• After bath use a towel to gently push the cuticle back. This will allow Eucalyptus oil to get down into where the new nail is growing.
#7: Ozonized Sunflower Oil
Weird. Isn’t it? But sunflower oil can to fight that fungal infection and cure your toenail fungus. Using it twice a day has chances up to 90% that your toenail fungus can be cured. By reacting ozone (O3) with sunflower oil, you can produce ozonized sunflower oil, which contains compounds with significant medicinal effects. Rub a small amount of this oil onto your toes twice daily to treat toenail fungus.
A bit of more care that is needed now
- During warm weather conditions avoid wearing socks that do not absorb moisture
- Avoid shoes that do not allow your feet to breathe in warm weather. Instead, wear sandals
- Change your socks every day or after physical activity
- Keep your nails short, dry, and as clean as possible
- Use antifungal spray or powder if you are at a higher risk of developing toenail fungus
- Avoid picking or trimming the skin around your toenails, regardless of whether there is an infection
- Air your shoes out between uses
- Throw out old, worn-out shoes and socks
- Do not share towels, bathmats, or nail clippers with people known to have a nail fungus.
- Avoid walking barefoot in wet, public places such as locker rooms, pools, gyms, and public showers
- Avoid toenail polish, or remove it immediately after social functions
- Choose a reputable nail salon for manicures and pedicures. Make sure the salon sterilizes nail instruments and equipment before grooming you. If you are unsure, bring your own nail pack to the appointment
- Correct foot dysfunction that may be contributing to the problem
- Talk with a podiatrist about toenail fungus as soon as it develops
Use the above products and do share your experience. though it will take some time eventually you will be getting rid of toenail fungus.
Having toenail fungus infection can be irritating for you if it becomes severe. There are different causes of having toenail fungus infection but no matter whatever the reason may be but it can be cured with the help of these 7 over the counter products that are easily available in your nearby shops. You can try any of these over the counter products and get rid of toenail fungus infection with an ease.
7 Best Over the Counter Products That Cures Toenail Fungus Effectively
If you have toenail fungus infection then you should try any of the seven over the counter products to cure this toenail issue. All these are very easy to apply over the counter products to cure toenail fungus that are easily available at your nearby shops.
Cure Toenail Fungus