You might avoid activities like strolling through a park in your sandals or taking a pleasant walk on the beach in your flip-flops just because of an unsightly condition called thick toenails. Sometimes you may feel embarrassed and just wish to cover up your feet. Thick toenail can be quite painful and cause the toenail to become crumbly and brittle toenails.
Well, if you are looking for a treatment for thick toenails, its causes, symptoms and more then you have come to the right place. Yes, here you will get to know everything about thick toenails, its symptoms, causes, treatments, risk factors of toenail infection and more. So, let’s start from knowing about thick toenail and to learn about thick toenails you need to read the below section of this blog.
You May Also Like: Most Common Causes Of Toenail Ridges And Their Treatments That You Can’t Miss
What Are Thick Toenails?
Some changes in your toenail may be a sign of an underlying condition. Thicker toenails that have grown over time likely indicate a toenail fungus infection, in general, known as onychomycosis. If it is left untreated then thick toenail cure can become quite painful. Treating it at a time is the key to cure the toenail fungus. Toenail fungus infection can be quite difficult to cure and it may take some months of treatment. Now it’s time to know about the symptoms of thick toenails which you will read in the below section.
Symptoms Of Thick Toenails
Some of the most common symptoms of thick toenails are mentioned in the below section of this blog. So, have a look at them one by one:
- Crumble or Split Toenails
- Scaly or Chalky Toenails
- Green, Brown and Yellow Toenails
- A Foul odor that comes from the Toenail
- Dirty Toenails and other debris under thembr
- Toenails that can lift up from the nail bed
These are some of the signs and symptoms that you may observe. You may notice no discomfort in the early stages of the infection. Also, you may feel little pain when you notice these symptoms.
Look Here: Black Spots on Toenail: Learn Its Unknown Causes And Treatments
What Causes Thick Toenails?
Do you have any idea what are the thick toenail causes? If you know it then it is good or if not then you need to go through this below section:
- Changes that occur with age can be the major cause of the thick toenails. While it may be simply the accumulation of trauma over time, some other factors like metabolic change and the reduction of blood flow also play a great role.
- Thickened toenail can be caused due to any alteration to the damaged toenail bed. This great damage may be permanent or temporary which is generally dependent on the cause of the thick toenail.
- Trauma that causes due to any reason like the imperceptible pressure of a shoe or dropping of a hammer on the toe, can cause thick toenails.
- Toenail fungus infection, bacterial infection and ingrown toenails are another major cause of the thickened toenails.
- Some systematic diseases like eczema, psoriasis, cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis and cancer may affect your toenails and cause thick toenails.
These are some of the major causes of the thick toenails. There are some of the people who are at risk for developing thick toenails. You can also read the below paragraph to know who is at risk for developing thick toenails.
Who Is At Risk For Developing Thick Toenails
People with these conditions more likely to get toenail fungus:
- Frequent or prolonged exposure to water
- Being barefoot in public places with wet floors like showers, swimming pools and gyms
- Sweaty feet and shoes
- Shoes that constrict your feet
- Athlete’s foot that spreads to your toenails
- Damage to a toenail
- Medications that suppress your immune system
Also, you may be more likely to get toenail fungus infection if you have a pre-existing medical condition like circulatory conditions, type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes and psoriasis.
Also Read: Cure Toenail Issues That Occurs Due To Exercise, Running And Playing
Are There Any Serious Concerns?
Most of the time it happens that thick toenails indicate that you may have a hard-to-diagnose foot condition. In few cases, a podiatrist might take a biopsy of the alleged fungus and have it analyzed by a pathologist. The pathologist will first check to make sure that you are not suffering from psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema or any other kind of skin conditions. In order to confirm the diagnosis of a fungus infection then you may take a KOH (potassium hydroxide) test and Periodic Acid-Schiff (PAS) test. These are accurate, scientific chemical tests that ensure a diagnosis of your specific toenail fungus infection. Now, in the below section, you will get to know about the treatment for thick toenails.
How To Get Rid Of Thick Toenails
Thick toenails can be cured easily at home with the help of some natural ingredients and with some medications as well. Thick toenail can be a sign that the fungus has gotten worse. So, you can try some home remedies treatments and then talk to your doctor about prescription-based options. Let us first have a look at the thick toenail home remedy and then medications for treating thick toenails.
You May Also Like: Toenail Rot – Important Facts & Treatments That You Can’t Overlook
Home Remedies to Treat Thick Toenails
You can have a look at the below remedies to know how to deal with thick toenails. Just try them and get rid of this toenail issue forever.
- Apply an over-the-counter fungus treatment after you gently file your toenails.
- You need to apply Vicks vaporub on your toenail each day. This can help the infection subside.
- You can also clean the affected area with soap and water every day.
- To treat thick toenails, you need to groom your toenails regularly. You need to know how to soften thick toenails first by applying urea cream and then wrapping your feet in bandages at night. After this, you need to wash off the urea cream and use a nail clipper and then do a nail file to trim your nails.
- Apply snakeroot extract to the toenail every third day for one month and then twice a week in month two and then just once a week in month three.
- You can also apply tea tree oil twice a day every day.
Medical Treatments To Get Rid Of Thick Toenails
Sometimes applying home remedies are not so enough. So, in that case, you need some medical interventions as prescribed and recommended by your doctor. Such medications may include:
- Oral Medications
- Topical Medications
- Removal of Toenail to treat the Damaged Toenail bed
- Laser Treatments
In order to treat toenails for fungus, you may require sticking to the treatment plan for several months. Toenails grow very slowly that the fingernails and it can take 12 to 18 months to grow out.
Sometimes you may also experience a recurrence of toenail fungus after treatment. If you have treated your fungus infection and want to avoid it from coming back then you can try some methods to prevent it from growing in your toenails again.
Look Here: Causes of Black Toenail Fungus and How to Get Rid of It
How To Trim Thick Toenails
Depending on the thickness of the toenails, it can be a challenge to trim thick toenails as well as fingernails. First of all, it may be quite important to know how to soften thick toenails before you cut and it is best to use nail nippers. You can also do the following things to soften your toenails:
You need to know how to soften thick toenails by simply soaking them in warm soapy water for 10 minutes and then thoroughly dry your toenails. Now starting at one corner, you need to trim the toenails straight across and it is the best to use smaller cuts in order to prevent the toenail splitting.
Also Read: What Causes White Toenail Fungus and How to Deal With it?
If you have thick toenails then it is very informative blog for you. After going through this blog, you must have observed that there are enough information available that can help you know everything about thick toenails. You can cure toenail fungus as well with the help of these above-mentioned home remedies. If you have any suggestions then you can write in the below comment section.
Things You Should Definitely Know About Thick Toenails
Thick toenail can be very irritating for people who suffer from this issue, But, don’t worry, now you can know everything about thick toenails including its causes, symptoms, treatments and more. All these will help you to overcome this issue.
Cure Toenail Fungus