Have you seen or heard of the toenail problem Onychogryphosis or Ram’s Horn Nails ever? If you want to get knowledge regarding this toenail issue then the complete blog will help you out in this.
So, just scroll down to this post and acquire complete knowledge about what causes Onychogryphosis, its associated risk factors, and best home treatment to cure Onychogryphosis or Ram’s Horn Nails problem.
What Is Onychogryphosis Or Ram’s Horn Nails?
Onychogryphosis is one such toenail issue in which there is overgrowth or hypertrophy of the nails resulting in long, curved nails which look very similar like claw or a ram’s horn.
With the passage of time nails becomes thickened, deformed in shape and also gets discolored to yellowish in color. These toenail issues are commonly encountered by elder age group people. And the reason is because the blood supply to the nails diminishes with the age.
What Causes Onychogryphosis Or Ram’s Horn Nails?
There are several causes behind the occurrence of this Onychogryphosis Or Ram’s Horn Nails. So, have a look over them one by one:
May be the cells have got damaged from injury such as trauma from certain activities, dropping of heavy objects or sports injuries.
Another possible reason can be the over an extended period pressure on the nails which is caused by wearing ill or tight fitting shoes.
Other suspected causes of onychogryphosis include:
- Trauma, such as a blunt-force injury to the toe or a laceration that damages the nail matrix
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Ichthyosis, a skin condition that cause the skin to become dry, cracked, and easily damaged
- Fungal infection
- Reduction of the blood circulation into the nail portions
- Medical condition like diabetes raises the risk of Onychogryphosis.
- Not taking good care of the nails, such as not trimming nails, proper cleaning, and moisturizing regularly.
- Peripheral vascular disease.
HAVE A LOOK:
7 Most Effective Natural Home Remedies For Pitted Toenails
What Are The Signs & Symptoms Of Onychogryphosis Or Ram’s Horn Nails?
- Nail becomes thick, long and deformed as they increase in length.
- Your nails start getting discolored to yellow color.
- You may feel pain and discomfort in the affected nails upon pressure.
- As this specific toenail issue occurs due to fungal infection of the nails, so your nail starts becoming brittle, crumbly.
- Pressure causes the nail to grow unevenly, so the one side of the nail starts growing faster than other.
- It’s very rare, Onychogryphos is may be congenital (present from birth) and genetic in origin.
How To Treat Onychogryphos?
Medical treatment that can easily cure the severity and symptoms of Onychogryphos condition are as follows:
- Nail plate avulsion along with surgical destruction of the nail matrix using carbon dioxide laser or phenol. This helps in improving the blood circulation of the nails.
- If the pain is severe then the nail is removed just by applying a saturated solution of Phenol.
Home Remedies To Treat Onychogryphosis Or Ram’s Horn Nails
Remedy 1#Listerine Mouthwash And White Vinegar
Alcohol and other compounds present in Listerine mouthwash makes it antiseptic which helps in keeping off the fungus and bacteria.
You just need to mix equal quantity of white vinegar and mouthwash. Soak the affected area for 30 minutes and scrub the nail gently. Wash up your nail and keeps it dry using the towel. You can perform this 2 times a day to ensure the infection won’t get spread which ultimately works to cure Onychogryphosis rapidly.
Remedy 2#Olive Leaf Extract
Olive leaf extract has such properties which help in easy killing of the fungus that causes this infection from the inside out. It also ensures that your risk of developing this Ram’s Horn Nails again is minimized significantly. Apart from treating Onychogryphosis, it will also destroy other harmful parasites in your body.
HAVE A LOOK:
5 Methods To Regrow New Toenail After Killing Fungus Infection Completely
Remedy 3#Take Good Care Of Your Nails:
For treating Ram’s Horn Nails the most important thing that you need to do is maintain the hygiene and keeping your nails short, clean and trimmed.
- Your nails are particularly gets thick from its corners; use the nail filler to smooth down the edges.
- Complete dry up your nails after taking shower because dry skin and nails has less chances to get infected. Apply some moisturizer lotion to maintain the skins water balance.
Remedy 4#Baking Soda and Sodium Borate
Combination of baking soda and borax create the most environments for the fungus. So, this makes the fungus uncomfortable.
- Make a paste using equal parts of the two powders and apply it to wet feet.
- Gently coax the paste into the infected nail.
- Apply this on your all nails, not only on the infected one for better affect.
- Do this 2 times a day until the fungus gets clears.
Top 4 Ways To Treat Athlete’s Foot You Should Definitely Give A Try
Remedy 5#Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap molasses is bittersweet syrup which was a popular natural sweetener. Unlike the most popular sweetener, it’s good for your health as it contains the vitamins and minerals naturally found in cane sugar plant. Its nutrients which are grasped away during the refining process used to create white sugar.
For healthier nail, you just need to add 1tbsp of blackstrap molasses to warm water, tea or you can add it on any another beverages of your choice. Drink this 1-2 times daily for some effective results.
Though it contains so many health benefits but blackstrap molasses still have an effect on blood sugar.
Another very effective herb to treat Onychogryphosis, is horsetail. It is the best herb for your proper and healthy nail growth. This herb contains high concentration of nail-strengthening vitamins and minerals.
To prepare this tea, boil ½- 1 tbsp of dried organic horsetail in a cup of boiling water for at least 10 minutes. It’s sweet in taste and you can have it daily for best result.
Remedy 7: Try Zetaclear
If the above mentioned solution does not help you to get perfect solution and still your problem persists then you can go with the ZetaClear solution. It is the best solution to the treatment of your toe nail fungus.
The best thing about this product is that you can use this product without any tension of side-effects and all as it is made up of 100% pure ingredients that have been tested and proven time after time. All of our ingredients are natural, safe, and extremely effective.
What Are The Prevention Of Onychogryphosis Or Ram’s Horn Nails?
- Always try to wear proper fitting shoes and comfortable socks.
- Trim nails regularly.
- Meanwhile these Onychogryphosis toenail problems avoid applying nail polish.
- Make a habit of applying moisturizing cream after taking bath or after washing your hands and feet helps in preventing this condition.
- Soak your feet in warm water added with some Epsom salt.
Home remedies for Onychogryphosis are the best ways to treat such toenail problems. As, these remedies don’t harm your nail in any way.